Friday, March 26, 2010

What's Been Bothering Me...

Something's been bothering me all week. Really, something's been bothering me since the first day that I stepped into my immigration class freshman year. What bothers me is the immigration issue in general and how God relates into it all because it seems very conflicting to me. I've been conflicted for ages and just when I forget, it seems to be brought up again. All the same old confusions and things that keep me up at night that I have known for so long are brought up, they mingle in my brain and yet still are not straightened out in a way that I feel like I can ever fathom what the correct response to immigration is, especially illegal immigration.

Don't be surprised if this isn't the last time you hear me bring up immigration. I know it's controversial, but I'm trying to figure everything out. These next three verses are ones that I perceive can see interlocking, yet seem to reject each other at the same time when they are perceived within the context of immigration.

Before letting you see the verses, because I know you can't just scroll down and see them, I want to say that I don't have the answers. There's so many shades of grey in my head over this that it is simply troublesome.

Please, read the next three verses pertaining with immigration in mind: policies, people, everything it entails, etc. and let me know what you think. How should we treat these people? Should we treat illegal and legal immigrants differently? Should we ship everyone back? Should we let them stay? Include anything you want to on the issue. Please do let me know what you're thinking though. Feel free to be anonymous if that makes you more comfortable.


Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. - Romans 13:1-6

" 'When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God. - Leviticus 19:33-34

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'- Matthew 25:34-45

Comment away!

2 comments:

  1. Our absolute obligation as believers is to meet the needs of those in need! These people have incredible needs, but our system is certainly in need of reform to effectively open opportunities for these individuals to have means for a better life. However, I do feel strongly this must be done in every legal manner. Whether we understand or agree with policy or standing of officials they are still our authority and we have obligation to submit to that authority (law, elected officals, etc). It is certainly a fine line and so sadly there are many barriers that are set up to keep people from doing things in a legal manner yet my first reaction is that it is necessary to submit to authority and pursue things in a legal manner....like you said there is no easy solution...I'm conlicted at times because there are real needs and desire to see ppl free to establish a healthy life, but this can only be accomplished for a season and in limited terms when not done within legal terms. More to this, but just initial thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just re-read my comment cause I was slightly distracted as I was writing it...I realize now I was pretty redundant in my word choice....thats what happens when you don't focus!

    ReplyDelete